Pages

Saturday, June 14, 2014

Why I Care Who Teaches My Children

Note: The following is my opinion and I am aware that many others disagree with me. I am not intending to start a debate, but to share how I feel about this issue for anyone interested. Please comment accordingly.


This post was written in response to this comment made by a friend of mine on my post Common Concerns About Homeschool:

You seem to mention often that you are concerned about the "liberal ideas" that your children may be exposed to in public school. What do you mean by that? Do you mean that you would be concerned if someone with different political views taught your children? Can you help me understand why that would bother you? As someone who is "liberal" (if by that, you mean someone who leans to the political left, although I realize there are lots of different definitions), I find that to be a bit insulting. But of course, I could be misinterpreting and/or too defensive! 
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old he will not depart from it."  
 Proverbs 22:6 

“I teach them correct principles, and they govern themselves.”  
Joseph Smith

I believe it is my divine responsibility to teach my children what I feel are correct principles, when they are young, in order to provide a solid foundation in the most formative years.

For me, this includes refuting the idea that the government is the answer to our problems, which, everyone knows, is a political belief of the left side.

Not surprisingly, most homeschoolers are on the conservative side: they do not believe the government is the answer, especially in the area of education. They believe that they, the parents, can do a better job at overseeing the education of their children (as well as a multitude of other things) than the government.

In addition, there are a great many moral issues that have become political as of late (gay marriage, abortion, etc), and many teachers and education officials have used their positions of influence to indoctrinate very young children in an effort to further their political agendas.

Education is never neutral. It is always influenced by the ideas, philosophies, beliefs of whoever is in control of it. 

I do not mean to say that I only want my children exposed to ideas that I believe in. I think exposure to a wide variety of ideas and topics is important in any education.

But I feel this exposure should be done under my roof, in my home, so that we can discuss them in the context of our religious and political beliefs (which to us, are deeply connected).

I want to end by this quote from a publication of my church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
"To have successful homes, values must be taught, and there must be rules, there must be standards, and there must be absolutes. Many societies give parents very little support in teaching and honoring moral values. A number of cultures are becoming essentially valueless, and many of the younger people in those societies are becoming moral cynics.
"As societies as a whole have decayed and lost their moral identity and so many homes are broken, the best hope is to turn greater attention and effort to the teaching of the next generation—our children. In order to do this, we must first reinforce the primary teachers of children. Chief among these are the parents and other family members, and the best environment should be in the home. Somehow, some way, we must try harder to make our homes stronger so that they will stand as sanctuaries against the unwholesome, pervasive moral dry rot around us. Harmony, happiness, peace, and love in the home can help give children the required inner strength to cope with life’s challenges. Barbara Bush, wife of [United States] President George Bush, a few months ago said to the graduates of Wellesley College:
"'But whatever the era, whatever the times, one thing will never change: Fathers and mothers, if you have children, they must come first. You must read to your children and you must hug your children and you must love your children. Your success as a family, our success as a society, depends not on what happens in the White House but on what happens inside your house' (Washington Post, 2 June 1990, 2). "
Quote taken from: https://www.lds.org/manual/marriage-and-family-relations-participants-study-guide/part-b-parents-responsibilities-to-strengthen-families/lesson-12-teaching-children-through-example-and-instruction?lang=eng

"Somehow, some way, we must try harder to make our homes stronger...."

I hear parents complain about the business of life. They feel they are always driving, always helping their kids with homework, instead of spending quantity & quality time together. Many parents are trying their best to provide a strong home for their children, teaching them morals and everything else.

But it's hard.

It's hard because about 50% of the time their kids are outside the home, learning under the direction of a government institution. And when they are home, they are doing more school work. School seems to be crowding out family time where building relationships and the teaching of personal values should be done.

I believe there is a way. It's not just to keep pushing harder, keep driving around, keep helping with homework, keep trying our best to do everything, fulfill all responsibilities even though our kids are not even with us half the time.

It's homeschool.

When kids are home, all of a sudden there is no rushing around in the morning trying to get off to school. Mornings are spent together, doing chores, eating breakfast, studying and discussing the scriptures. Then science experiments, art, and nature walks. Lunch and playtime. Come back and read aloud "Swiss Family Robinson," pointing out the family values and importance of faith in times of trial. Or spending the day at a historical site. But the point is, the family is together. Learning, building relationships, growing together in love.

No public school teacher or curriculum can give my children what I can.

And that is why I care who teaches my children.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for responding so thoroughly to my earlier question! I obviously feel different about some things that you posted, as you may have guessed, but I definitely respect your opinion and your choices, and I'm glad you are providing a platform to discuss such topics through this blog. I will say I think the characterization that all liberals see the government as the answer to all problems is inaccurate, but we can talk about it more in person if you'd like -- conversations tend to be much more civil that way!

    Again, I respect and understand your viewpoint as I hope you do mine. Thanks again for answering my question!

    ReplyDelete