Pages

Sunday, February 9, 2014

"There Must Be A Better Way" (My reasons for homeschooling)


I was just telling my husband this morning how most of the moms I know don't get to spend much time with their kids besides driving them to and from school and other activities, and a small amount of time at night when they are usually helping them with their homework. They complain of being too busy, driving all day long, younger siblings stuck in the car instead of playing, etc, etc, etc.  Yet they can see no way around this lifestyle.

As a mom of small children, hearing friends share these kinds of experiences didn't exactly make me feel hopeful about my future. I would nod in agreement, sympathetically. "I guess there is no way around it," I would say. "You just do the best you can." I would leave conversations such as these with a "Life sure is hard for moms these days. Glad I don't have to deal with that...yet" mentality.

Fast forward a couple months. I have now read through many books on homeschooling, and visited countless blogs of families chronicling their homeschooling journeys. I have also spoken in person with families who homeschool their own children. I have visited their homes, and felt their love and dedication to giving their children the very best life possible. These families are well educated, faithful Christians, independent thinkers, who live consciously and happen to be some of the nicest, most thoughtful people I know.

So now, with this new perspective, when I look at how most people live a lifestyle of making sack lunches and chauffeuring their kids to school, instead of being the ones who get to spend time learning with them, I have a different response.

"I don't get it."

Why do most people just go with the flow, do what everyone else does, conform to the way things are done in our present society?  How can they not even think that there could be a better way to do things?  It's not against the law to homeschool. Why don't more parents do it?

Let's face it, school is not about learning. It's about doing the bare minimum to get good grades in order to get into college. I know, I was there.

For me school was anxiety producing. Being surrounded by my peers all day was completely distracting. How could I focus on the teacher's lecture when the boys in back of me were having a seriously inappropriate conversation? Or answer a question and risk being teased for being a "kiss up"?

School was anything but an exciting learning opportunity for me. We all couldn't wait for the bell to ring at the end of the day. "Free at last!" we would exclaim, as we raced home to watch TV, play video games, go shopping, sing and dance, whatever; anything to keep our minds off "learning" (something only done in a classroom, to my knowledge).

While listening to the other moms' schedules, it dawned on me that I was about to repeat this same lifestyle with my own children. That's when I knew, deep inside, there had to be a better way.

A way of being with my kids all day long, spending time with them, watching them learn because they are genuinely interested in something, not trying to pass a test by memorizing facts.

Witnessing their excitement of making a new discovery, learning something amazing.

Going places together--trips, museums, discovering nature, exploring the world.

Learning the skills needed to live on their own someday--shopping, budgeting, preparing meals, taking care of a home, even parenting skills (why isn't that part of a formal school curriculum anyway? Especially with more and more teens getting pregnant....).

Having the time and flexibility to volunteer and apprentice in special fields of interest.

Taking private and community classes such as art, dance, sports, nature/science, and music.

Reading together from the great classics.

Talking about God and our purpose on earth.

Giving service to others-- building a house, reading to an invalid, helping a new family move in-- because we actually have time to and it just happens to be one of the main purposes of learning (as Henry B. Eyring taught).

And don't forget the social opportunities they will have in all these areas (instead of the social experiences of trying to learn math with 30 kids all moving at different paces or being afraid to use the bathroom because of the bully hiding inside).

In short, living together, learning all the time.

Some may see this as a huge responsibility to take on- overseeing the education of my children- and wonder how anyone could ever do it (click here if you are one of those people). But I see this opportunity as a gift from God, and even feel it is one of my callings in life. As I seek His help, I know He will guide me every step of the way.

Of course even with God's help, I will still make mistakes. No matter how hard I try, my children probably won't get the "perfect" education that I desire for them. Why? Because I am an imperfect being.

But are the public (and private) school teachers really perfect? Do they have the perfect material, and know how to present it to my child in the perfect way, while simultaneously doing the same for ALL the children in their classrooms?

The point is, this type of education, led by a mother who tries to expose her kids to the best resources and experiences so they can learn as much as possible, is far greater, in my opinion, than trusting the public school system to "educate" children, with all of the weaknesses inherent in teaching large groups of children all at once.

I do not mean to imply that all formal education is worthless or that all teachers are bad. I know that for many, a formal school setting might be the best option, and in some cases, the only option (both parents work). Some kids actually do well sitting in a school building all day long, listening to lectures, taking tests, and everything else experienced in a public school.

And there are definitely some excellent teachers out there. Unfortunately, most are bound to the school they work for and end up teaching to standardized tests. Additionally, most of them are now forced to teach the new nationwide curriculum, Common CoreCommon Core is the government's way of making sure everyone learns the same things. Who decided what everyone needs to learn?  Did they seek inspiration from God or do they have political agendas that go against the very principles I believe in and want to teach my children?

While formal education does work for some people, it didn't for me, and I don't feel it is best for my children.

There is another way. I hope through this blog I can shed some light on the value of homeschooling.


“Teach ye diligently and my grace shall attend you, that you may be instructed more perfectly in theory, in principle, in doctrine, in the law of the gospel, in all things that pertain unto the kingdom of God, that are expedient for you to understand." D&C 88:78

7 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE this! I am reading a book called "Leadership Education The Phases of Learning" and I HIGHLY recommend it. It especially teaches those of us who were raised in public education to "get off the conveyor belt" of learning and learn a better way (individualized learning). It is one of those books I want to give to everyone I know and have the whole world read. It helps us raise leaders, not "job seekers" and also helps us teach our children in a way they will LOVE learning, as opposed to many who learn to hate it while in school. I'd love to know your thoughts if you get a chance to read or skim it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the book recommendation! Sounds great. I will definitely read it soon. I know what you mean about wanting everyone to read it. I have felt that way about so many homeschooling books lately!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I borrowed A Thomas Jefferson Education from some friends and really loved the ideas presented there. We're seriously considering homeschooling our kids. As a former high school teacher in the public school system, I remember feeling so restricted in what I taught, how I got to teach it, and how long I had to teach it in. And I hated teaching kids how to pass standardized tests. However liberating the thought of homeschooling is for me as a teacher and for my kids as learners, it is also overwhelming at times. I would love to hear more of what you've learned and will continue to learn through this journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robyn- Thanks for sharing your perspective as a former public school teacher. I know what you mean about feeling overwhelmed at times, thinking about homeschooling. I have a love/hate relationship with the internet- there is so much out there is it hard to find the time to sift through. Reading books from the library about homeschooling has been my main method of learning recently. There are so many great books (currently I am reading "Real-Life Homeschooling" by Rhonda Barfield, and "Homeschooling Methods" by Paul & Gena Suarez and I highly recommend both). As I have read through tons of books, along with an intense study of what God has revealed about education through scriptures and modern day prophets and apostles (such as links on this page: https://www.lds.org/youth/for-the-strength-of-youth/education?lang=eng), I feel the pieces start to fit together, and I am becoming a lot more comfortable with the idea and excited about the possibilities. Good luck with your own journey! Hope this blog can be of some help to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way, the books I mentioned in my previous comment address many different styles of homeschooling, which I have found helpful especially at the beginning stages of my research, to open my eyes to how many different ways there are to make it work. I find little gems in each style that I am writing down in a notebook and I will most likely take those and create a homeschool environment that works best for my family. I am wary of any method that states theirs in the best method for everyone. Clearly, every family is different, every child has a different learning style, and that's the beauty of homeschooling--you can tailor it to your own family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire the way you are making a deliberate philosophy about what education and learning should be in your home. In your post you made a good point about how for you, school was just anxiety and if Tate has a similar personality then home school may be a good fit. My oldest really benefited from having positive adult interactions with someone besides mom. His attention and behavior improved after he started school. (Could be that he was just maturity) We had done some "mom school" before and it was fun, but draining for me, so I appreciated having other adults help to teach my children. I also really value the time I had with my younger children when the older ones started school. It was precious one on one time, or two on one, that we hadn't had before and helped to develop relations. Lastly, yes it is crazy to get kids up and out the door to school, but you don't have to continue the insanity from there. I deliberately schedule time just being home with my kids, days with no other lessons, activities and errands so we can have that important time as a family. So if some day you do opt to go the public school route you still can make it work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for pointing that out Marinda. I agree wholeheartedly that some children do well in a formal school setting and their families thrive with that schedule (and that it doesn't have to be too crazy). I completely respect everyone's decision regarding the education of their own children, and could never judge anyone because I don't know their own unique circumstances. However, I am discovering that most public schoolers have this idea (and rightly so, as I did before learning about this) that homeschool is simply doing school at home (the mom is the teacher, the children are the students, and the mom "teaches" them from a curriculum). That is one way of doing it, but there are sooo many different approaches (such as delight-directed or "unschooling" where a child studies what they are most interested in, instead of following a curriculum-- crazy idea to most of us who have grown up with the view that everyone must learn the same exact facts and subjects according to their grade level). So I hope that through this blog,I can shed light on the multitude of ways that a child can learn without being enrolled in public school, just so people can be aware of the options out there.

    ReplyDelete